CURTAIN GOES UP ON TATA STEEL KOLKATA LITERARY MEET 2020
Highlights of TSKLM 2020
- Inaugural session by Joanne Harris
- When the Lions Write-Colony in Indian Ink: Shashi Tharoor and Sudeep Chakravarti in conversation with Manu Pillai
- Prodosh Mittirer Prithibi: Sabyasachi Chakraborty on being Feluda
- Manto and I: Nandita Das discusses her journey with Saadat Hasan Manto, from reel to book
- 2020 Vision India@Olympics: Pullela Gopichand, Nalin Mehta, Devendra Jhajharia and Boria Majumdar on India’s past record and future hopes for Tokyo ’20
- How Do You Write Magic: Ruskin Bond and Joanne Harris in conversation with Malavika Banerjee
- The Golden Breath: Hariprasad Chaurasia and Sathya Saran discuss the maestro’s life and music; Launch of Breath of Gold by Shubha Mudgal
- Good Economics for Hard Times: Noble Laureate Abhijit V Banerjee in conversation with Udayan Mukherjee on Monday, 27 January
Kolkata, January 22, 2020: Renowned English author Ms Joanne Harris especially known for her award-winning novel Chocolat inaugurated this year’s edition of the Tata Steel Kolkata Literary Meet in the presence of Mr Chanakya Chaudhary, Vice President, Corporate Services, Tata Steel alongside author Mr Kunal Basu, Dr. Jayanta Sengupta - Secretary & Curator, Victoria Memorial Hall and Ms Malavika Banerjee, Director, Kolkata Literary Meet. While this is the 9 th edition of the Kolkata Literary Meet, it is the 6 th edition of the Tata Steel Kolkata Literary Meet (TSKLM). The literary meet to be held from 22-26 January 2020 aims to celebrate literature and allied cultural pursuits - dance, music, recitation, and theatrical performances over five power-packed days. Tata Steel Kolkata Literary Meet 2020 aims to encourage the evolving literary community, promote a culture of patronage, and create value for the authors and other dignitaries.
Like earlier editions, the literary meet will celebrate unexplored ideas and unstoppable voices will focus on literature, poetry, current affairs and women’s issues, among others. Each session will witness noteworthy names being a part of engaging discussions with the audience, bringing together a range of expertise and perspectives on stage throughout the seven days in Kolkata’s most iconic location of Son-et-Lumiere, Victoria Memorial Hall. Select sessions would be held at The Saturday Club, Kala Mandir and the National Library.
Speaking at the inauguration, Mr Chanakya Chaudhary, Vice President, Corporate Services, Tata Steel said: “Tata Steel is proud to bring to the people of Kolkata and Eastern India the sixth edition of the Tata Steel Kolkata Literary Meet (TSKLM). This is a signature community outreach programme from Tata Steel on an intellectual platform that brings together people from the world of literature, art and culture to share their ideas and thoughts on contemporary issues. As every year, we look forward to significant participation from the discerning intellectual community of Kolkata.”
Some of the eminent speakers who will be part of this year’s literary extravaganza include Abhijit V. Banerjee, winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics 2019, Sahitya Akademi, Jnanpith Award and Padmashri Amitav Ghosh, English crime-writer Ann Cleeves, Actor, singer, and television host Ayushmann Khurrana, highly acclaimed theatre and film personality from Odisha Anant Mahapatra, acclaimed Indian classical flautist, Pandit Hari Prasad Chaurasia who plays the bansuri, an Indian bamboo flute, in the Hindustani classical tradition, Nandita Das Indian actor and director who has won accolades for numerous performances, including in Fire, Earth, Bawandar, Kannathil Muthamittal, Azhagi, Kamli among others.
Speaking on the occasion, Dr. Jayanta Sengupta - Secretary & Curator, Victoria Memorial Hall said: “For years, Tata Steel Kolkata Literary Meet (TSKLM) has been a literary landmark that is valued, respected, anticipated and celebrated across India and the world. I’m sure literature lovers will have an unforgettable experience from 22-26 January 2020. As we celebrate the ninth edition of TSKLM, we look forward to a confluence of the brightest literary minds from across the globe and the legion of book lovers who have always welcomed TSKLM with an open heart.”
Ms Malavika Banerjee, Director, Kolkata Literary Meet, added, “Tata Steel Kolkata Literary Meet is an annual celebration, free for everyone, which brings the best minds from across the world to engage with leading writers and discerning audience on books, ideas and words. I take pride in saying that TSKLM has established itself as one of the greatest literary gatherings in India and in this edition, we have one of the best line-ups of authors we’ve ever had.”
- To know more, please visit
- Stay Connected: Twitter:
About Tata Steel
Tata Steel group is among the top global steel companies with an annual crude steel capacity of 33 million tonnes per annum. It is one of the world's most geographically diversified steel producers, with operations and commercial presence across the world. The group (excluding SEA operations) recorded a consolidated turnover of US $22.67 billion in the financial year ending March 31, 2019. In 2018, Tata Steel acquired Bhushan Steel Ltd (now renamed as Tata Steel BSL Ltd).
To know more, visit www.tatasteel.com
- Set up in 1998, Gameplan Sports Pvt. Ltd. Is one of India’s foremost corporate branding agencies, working primarily in the fields of sports and literature. We seek to present innovative and cost-effective ideas that give sponsors maximum exposure. Our activities include marketing and management of international and domestic sponsorship rights in India; marketing and management of Indian and international cricket tournaments, player endorsements, syndicating content in print and electronic media, instadia advertising, 3-D signs, event management – in more than just sport – event promotions, hospitality and Insignia memorabilia. To know more, visit: