We endeavour to achieve the goal of "Committed to Zero" i.e. to achieve zero LTI for any unsafe act/s when it comes to Safety. The following strategies assist in achieving the objective.
- Build Safety leadership capability from senior leaders to front-line supervisors
- Develop the competency and capability of all employees to proactively identify hazards and manage risks to prevent safety incidents
- Ensure contractor safety risk management
- Ensure Road and Rail safety risk management
- Process Safety Management, integrated emergency response, infrastructure integrity management
- Occupational Health/Industrial Hygiene (OH/IH)
Key initiatives undertaken in India to ensure safe conditions
Development of Safety Leadership
- Establishment of six safety governance committees to drive safety.
- Introduction of the mobile phone based app ‘Mobisafe’ to log unsafe acts and risky conditions.
Safety Competency and Capability Improvement
- Felt leadership training for senior leadership
- Upgradation of IT system to analyse the organisation’s safety performance in more flexible and transparent ways by introducing the web based platform ‘Ensafe’.
Contractor Safety Risk Management
- Assessment of vendors through Information Technology System.
- Risk mitigation through Find it, Own it & Fix it campaign
- Contractor’s supervisor training.
Road and Rail Safety Risk Management
- Effective management of free bus services through GPS.
- Remote control operation of loco to improve visibility of loco driver.
- Development of rail & road infrastructure inside plant.
Process safety management
- Introduced E-Learning modules & E-Certificate in process safety management
- Deployment of management of change (MoC) standard and Centre of Excellence (CoE).
- Use of 'gas visibility cameras’ to detect any gas leakage point from a distance.
- Computerised leak testing and function testing machine for respiratory personnel protective equipment
Occupational Health/Industrial Hygiene
- Real time and location-based health monitoring of employee through ‘Smartwatch’.
- Doctor Online & Doctor@Doorstep initiatives.
- Industrial hygiene projects.
- Special health programme for women employees.
Multiple programmes across Europe include
- The Zero Harm initiative – to raise awareness on key health and safety topics including campaigns on noise and asbestos
- The Sir Gar Project at Trostre site in Wales – a pioneering cardiovascular screening project
- Structural measures to reduce and prevent exposure to emissions of diesel engines in enclosed areas
Safety Initiatives by Tata Steel Operations in SEA
NatSteel has undertaken several aggressive measures in this area that are showing results. Among these are
- Partnering government agencies and partners to improve safety in construction industry
Safety & Health Achievements
- Safety and Health recognition in 'Leadership' category by World Steel Association
- Achievement of ISPAT Suraksha Puruskar for Zero fatality during the calendar year-2016
- Zero LTI during FY-17 in Engineering & Projects division, Jamshedpur Works
- Safe commissioning of 3MTPA Tata steel Kalinganagar plant
- bizSAFE Partner since 2009
- World Steel Safety & Health Recognition 2011 & 2012
- Workplace Safety & Health Council (WSHC) Innovation Award 2011
- ISO14001 & OSHAS18001 Accreditations
Tata Steel has set quality standards by monitoring office seating arrangements as well as mobile equipment such as cranes to ensure that their ergonomics are above par. Air pollution control systems have been installed at our plants to reduce dust levels and more and more equipment can now be operated remotely, making onsite jobs safer and less strenuous. Our 'Mobi-safe' mobile application allows employees to report any unsafe condition/act in the workplace, besides offering features for online detection of hazardous gases as well as visual displays of the shop floor for better understanding of work processes.
In Tata Steel Europe, a programme has been introduced at all our European sites to identify, control and minimise potential health hazards. Machine isolation and immobilisation were the first two topics that were fully examined and documented in order to achieve a uniform and clear working procedure to prevent incidents.
To know more on Safety aspects of Tata Steel Europe, click here